What are the very best ways to get a summer body? If you’re ready to get started on your best summer body ever, check out these tips for building the body you want in just four weeks.
The 4 Week Summer Body Plan
Summertime is near. As much as we wish that we could stretch out the spring for more time to get our body into shape, we can’t. So it’s time to get moving.
There are definitely fun, effective ways to get a summer body in a short time. All it really takes is a little dedication. Focus on a workout and eating plan that keeps you hydrated. Then add exercises that burn massive amounts of calories. As long as your workout plan is fun, you’ll see results and want to keep going.
This simple four week program is designed to help you burn fat and get lean. Four weeks is plenty of time to get in shape for summer. Use these ways to get such an awesome summer body that no one will know about all your cheat days this past winter.
Before you get started on any program, make sure you plan to eat a well-rounded diet. It should includes lots of water, protein, fat, and a balanced amount of carbs to keep your energy up.
How It Works
Follow this simple Monday through Friday plan (no weekends!) four times. If you love it, keep doing it throughout the summer to stay lean and help your body burn continue to burn fat.
- Supersets: Start off each week with an intense workout to burn fat and build muscle with supersets. A superset is just two sets of similar exercises done together. These supersets target the whole body. That way, you won’t get bored, and you’ll get the benefit of overall toning.
- What to do: Start with 15-20 minutes of cardio. Then do four sets of total body, weight lifting supersets. Also, rest for a full two minutes between each set. It’s not a race or a speed workout! Take your time. Here are some ideas for a four superset workout that targets the whole body.
First: Bench presses & pull-ups.
Second: Front squats & dead lifts.
Third: Barbell skullcrusher & barbell curl.
Fourth: Dumbell row & TRX inverted row.
- Food tip: Contrary to what most people think, a diet that’s high in good, healthy fats is one of the best ways to get a summer body. Fats keep you satiated (feeling full), have tons of nutrients for healthy skin and hair, and provide energy for your workouts.
- Tabata: For these next four weeks, you’re going to tuck some tabata into your routine. In doing so, you’ll boost your fat burning results with just a little bit of time invested. These power packed routines are so short, it might as well be a rest day.
- What to do: Focus this Tabata workout your body weight, rather than using free weights or machines. Remember, a Tabata routine is 4 minutes long, and incorporates 20 seconds of activity followed by 10 seconds of rest. Do the following in this order: burpees, jump squats, push-ups, and crunches. Do this routine twice. Follow it up with 30 minutes of cardio of your choice. Doesn’t seem like a lot of work? Trust us on this one. You will feel it. Tabata is one of the best kept secret ways to get a summer body.
- Food tip: Stay hydrated with electrolyte water, or try coconut water if you haven’t before. Add veggies and fruits to your diet that contains lots of water, such as cucumbers, watermelon, peaches, and pineapple.
- HIIT: One of the easiest and fastest ways to get a summer body is to turn up the heat each and every time you work out. That’s exactly what HIIT (high-intensity interval training does). Use your Hump Day to keep your energy high, burn a ton of calories, and have fun doing it.
- What to do: Take 45 minutes to do a HIIT class before work, at lunch, or right after work. Honestly, the best way to get a great HIIT workout is at a gym in a HIIT class that is run by trainers or coaches. (If you’re in NYC, check out CompleteBody’s Wall Street Workout). But if you can’t find a gym that offers HIIT classes, check out these at home HIIT workouts that are effective and fun.
- Food tip: HIIT workouts are intense. Fuel your body before the workout with a high carb, but low sugar, quick meal that has some protein.
- Hips, Legs, and Butt Circuit: Keep up the intensity and motivation on Thursday. Take it to the floor with a grounding, muscle-building workout targeted for your hips, legs, and butt. Start off with 15-20 minutes of cardio. You can choose from running, spinning, or using the elliptical.
- What to do: Do 20-25 of each: squats, lunges, and kettlebell deadlifts (here’s how). Finish the round with 30 crunches. Repeat the circuit twice.
- Food tip: Power pack your workout by increasing your protein intake, especially after a toning workout like this.
- Pick one and repeat: Pick any of the above days and repeat (we suggest HIIT or the superset day), or take a yoga, Zumba, or spinning class. (If you do choose yoga, try a power-packed class rather than restorative yoga. You can always do some restorative work over the weekend).
- Keep it high energy: Zumba, spinning, or HIIT are great choices for heading into the weekend with high energy, and any of those choices is great for burning fat fast.
- Food tip: Snack right. Keep your snacks healthy, and choose whole foods over processed foods if possible. Foods that are high in fiber can help you lose weight, if that is your aim. Try apples, almonds, or homemade sweet potato fries for a high -fiber, delicious treat.
Summer Body Secrets
Keep these tips in mind when you’re whipping your body into summer shape:
- Eat. This is especially true if you aren’t used to working out and aren’t sure how to eat for energy yet. Food is actually a friend, not an enemy. Yes, you should be careful and intentional about your food, but you should also make sure you’re eating enough fat, protein, and carbs to fully support your workout.
- Have fun. Stress is actually bad for your body. If you find that certain workouts stress you out, don’t do them. You can absolutely have fun while getting into shape.
- Track your progress. Don’t get crazy over it, but check in with yourself every couple of weeks just to be sure you’re on track. If you like how things are going, keep it up. If you don’t, change it up. You are in complete control of this workout program.
These workouts are some of the most effective ways to get a summer body in just four short weeks. Keep your weekends free to relax, meditate, and get plenty of rest for the following week. Remember to mix it up, or change the order of the workouts to suit your body and mind. Some people need more rest between workouts than other people, too. If you prefer, you can make one weekend day a workout day, and rest in the middle of the week. Regardless of what you choose, have fun with it!
Let Us Help!
Need help staying on track and getting the summer body you want? Work out with a trainer! CompleteBody Gym has three Manhattan locations (Financial District, Midtown East, and Chelsea) you can choose from. Our Personal Trainers are experts at crafting the perfect summer body workout plans tailored to you and your needs. With group classes to fit anyone’s schedule, a juice bar, and on site physical therapy, CompleteBody is the ideal NYC gym. Contact us to get started.